Thursday, October 7, 2010

This room...

...has been a thorn in my side.

...has been my prison for the past two plus weeks.

...has been a nightmare!!

The room is the boys' bedroom.

Though I don't have before pictures, I can tell you when we first moved in the wallpaper was dark blue with large tulips. We tore that off almost immediately when the kids discovered just how much fun it was to tear wallpaper apart. For the last two years it's been a cream colored floral print that must have been original to the house. I've had no motivation to re-do their room because I knew just how hard that wallpaper was going to be to take down. And I didn't know how to repaint.

I finally decided on what to do and since I hadn't worked on the house in about a year I figured it was time. I painted the walls khaki. On the large wall I did diamonds in argyle fashion*. *Disclaimer: Do not attempt unless you're willing to spend many hours taping. I used white, orange and mixed my white and khaki to get a cream color. I also painted one small wall the same orange as the diamonds.

I painted over the wallpaper to get everything white. I also had to mud the seams so they wouldn't show.

I am a messy painter. I dropped a can and it exploded here.

The Wall. My Bane.
Let me just tell you I thought this would be much easier going in.
I thought I'd just have to tape everything off twice and paint my two colors.
Wrong.
I may have done something wrong that made me have to tape off the diamonds three times--with one time cutting the tape to fit inside the diamond lines. If I messed up, I can't figure out where. It was hard.
The step-by-step process involves this:
1. Determine the width and height you want your diamonds.
2. Draw a wall of rectangles that match that height and width.
3. Once you have a wall full of rectangles, measure off the midpoint of each line in the rectangles.
4. Connect all the midpoints with a really long straight edge to form the diamond.
5. Tape. A lot.
6. Paint.

Finally finished!



I'm done!! And I've vowed to not finish the rest of the house!!!

7 comments:

Heather said...

Wow Liz, that is awesome! You did an awesome job! We did strips in our house and TN and it took us 2 weeks also. Very hard, but the finished product looks awesome!

Nicole said...

LIZ! you are amazing, it loooks great. do they love it?

PILCHERS said...

oh liz that looks so great!!i am so jealous of your creativity and perserverence to finish it....i would've given up and just painted it all one color!! i love it! i am inspired...just not to do argyle!! LOL!!

kristi said...

Liz, it looks awesome!! You did a great job!!

Daniel & Sarah said...

liz!!! holy cow thats so cute!!! i love it! how do the boys like it? you will have to give me painting lessons !

v said...

Oh. My. Goodness. This is beautiful. Ever considered becoming an HGTV host? Seriously. I saw the before in person and will attest that this is a vast improvement. You are a-maze-ing!
Kudos to you for your determination.

Jo Jo said...

Wow. Obviously by all these comments it is fantastic. I've always loved seeing your redos. You're very creative and should consider interior designing. Great job.