Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Two Things...

One delicious...
These are Browned Butter Banana Waffles I found here. Mine looked nothing like her picture obviously. I don't have a clue why mine turned out soooo brown but they were soooo good, so it's ok. I have one kid who doesn't care for bananas (or anything else for that matter) so I only used 2 versus the three called for in the recipe. I like that this uses wheat flour, but the waffles still tasted good--not all wheaty. I also do what I want with spices--I used more cinnamon and nutmeg and threw in ginger and allspice too I think. Also, I added milk chocolate chips to each waffle--gotta counter that wheat four!! This recipe made 7 and 1/2 waffles for me. Here is the recipe if you don't want to click on the link. It is a bit lengthy but worth it.

Browned Butter Waffles
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used salted)
3 large eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 medium very ripe bananas

Directions: 1. Preheat a waffle iron. Into a large bowl, sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.

2. To brown the butter, heat a thick-bottomed skillet on medium heat. Add the sliced butter, whisking frequently. Continue to cook the butter until melted. The butter will start to foam and browned specks will begin to form at the bottom of the pan. The butter should have a nutty aroma. Watch the butter carefully because it can go from brown to burnt quickly. Remove butter from the heat and let cool to room temperature.

 3. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, brown butter, and vanilla. Pour into dry ingredients; stir until just combined.

 4. In a separate small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork; stir into batter. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gently fold into the batter.

5. Ladle the recommended amount of waffle batter onto the hot waffle iron according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Close lid; cook waffle is golden brown on both sides, about 5-6 minutes. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve. Serving options-fresh banana slices, honey, maple syrup, butter, or peanut butter Note-these waffles freeze well.

To freeze, place completely cooled waffles in a freezer bag and freeze. To reheat, pop the waffles in the toaster.

I take no credit for the deliciousness of these--that goes to TwoPeasandTheirPod.

This is the other of my two things:

I've been wanting to make a new bag for some time now, and finally did it!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that bag!