Friday, May 20, 2011

Just to prove I could

Ever since Nicole introduced me to Ana White and her fab furniture building website, I've wanted to build a bed. I've done a few of her other projects and thought it was time to tackle the beast. I chose this one because it looked cool and the storage could come in handy.

It took a good few hours in Lowe's to choose all the wood. Then I spent the rest of the day cutting the wood and the next two days at Ben's shop building. My SIL Becca helped me begin the building. I finished up alone and along the way learned how to use a pocket hole jig. Scary. I spent another two days filling holes, sanding, and painting.

Overall, I spent about $130 and approximately 15 hours to cut and build the bed. It sounds like a lot but it went pretty fast.


I also wanted to build this cool stool to help Cate get into the bed. It took a couple of hours and Sarah and Becca helped me with that too.

Cate loves the bed and now that we have another full bed, we can fit more guests!!

*The quilt on the bed is one my great grandmother pieced together. She completed the top and I put a back on, quilted it, and bound it. It won't stay on Cate's bed. My next project is a quilt of her own.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

good job liz!

A said...

Impressive! And I love that quilt...

L said...

you are awesome!

v said...

Okay, can I tell you that I am in awe of your awesomeness!? Wow, you are my power tool hero. Great job.

Heather said...

Have I told you before that you are awesome? Well Liz, you are AWESOME! And so very talented!

Bonnie said...

holy cow! you are awesome. i need to hang out with you, so maybe some of your awesomeness will rub off on me!