Sunday, May 8, 2011

I reflect...

I really considered doing a post yesterday in dedication to my mom just to let her, and the world, know how much she means to me.

I didn't.

Because I'm a slacker
.

And I didn't think I could be eloquent enough to adequately convey my feelings.

So...I love you Mom and I really look up to you.

Any who...

After deciding I wouldn't be composing an elegant dedicatory post, I turned my thoughts toward my feelings of motherhood. As in me being a mom.

And this is a little hard for me because I don't think I have the feelings of a typical mom. I know I have been blessed with extremely easy and awesome kids.

But...

I often wonder if the moms who put heartfelt confessions of how much they love being a mom are just making it all up.

Whoa!! I know you're shaking your head now thinking how awful it is that I actually just wrote that.

But each time I read one of those blog posts (I just read three different ones), I feel horrible. Why don't I feel like them? Why can't I just LOVE being a mom? It's something I've struggled with for almost 7 years now.

I just feel like it's a really hard job that doesn't seem to be very rewarding. Sure, it's cool to hear them laugh and see them all playing together peacefully. But sometimes it would be really nice to just be alone. And yes, I do get some alone time. But I feel like the few hours a week I do have, are not nearly enough and always leave me craving more. I'd like to clean the house and actually have it stay clean for the rest of the day. I'd like to be able to fix a meal and not hear everyone complain that they don't like what is on their plate. I'd like to do laundry and it not take the entire day.

SELFISH, I know.

It seems I have a hard time focusing on the positives of being a mom. And I do actually realize there are some of those too. Believe it or not, I have actually improved. I feel like I am much less cynical than even last year. I try to count my blessing. I try to have an attitude of gratitude. But there are times I feel sorely under appreciated. I enjoyed Mother's Day, but it left me wishing every day could be Mother's Day in the sense that I felt somewhat appreciated, when I usually don't. I wasn't showered with gifts or even service. But the kids did seem more thankful that I'm here. I realize they don't understand all that I do for them. I know I didn't understand everything my mom had to go through. And maybe later in life they'll reflect on how much I actually worked for them as their mom.

Right now I'm trying to focus on enjoying being home with them. I'm trying to LOVE having them as little people that I get to take care of. I know it's not the easiest or funnest. But I only have a few years with them. I need to cherish this time and relish it.

And I'm trying.

Really.

6 comments:

L said...

I totally understand what you mean. Completely. Like all those women that talk about how pregnancy is beautiful, even when they are puking their guts up every day for hours they just know it's for a great reason.

Right now, when I read those posts, I want to reach through my computer and punch them in the nose. (Did I just say that, I think I did)

Heather said...

Amen! Being a mom is the HARDEST job I have ever had. There are days I miss having them home because there ends up being tooo much silence but then when the weekend comes and they are fighting and complaining I realize that I love the age they are in where they head to school and I get to enjoy them in the afternoon and weekends. You are not alone girl. And I agree with your friend about pregnancy! I think those people are also lying about LOVING to be pregnant.

Nicole said...

I think people write those posts when they have a good day.
If I wrote a motherhood post right now, it would involve screaming and me fighting my desire to lock them in their room and wondering if CPS cares if I lock all the food away.
Which is why I generally blog when all is well and happy.
Because my daughter can read. And apparently gets upset with me and thinks I don't love her and want a new daughter.
Which is why I think I need a private anonymous blog.
So I can blog about screaming and wanting to lock the food up and send my kids to timbuktu.

v said...

At some point of this career known as Motherhood, every mother feels as you do. Don't let all those Polly Perfect blogs guilt you into thinking you're some how less a mother/person because you crave quiet time, a clean house, and being appreciated for more than a nano second. Remember that without the down times we would never appreciate the happy times.

Hang in there. It will truly pass faster than you can imagine, I used to hate it when people said that to me. But it's true. Then you'll cry yourself to sleep when they're gone and doing their own thing because you miss the fire out of having them around.

Jo Jo said...

I know just what you mean! And when I got away last weekend, I felt guilty for not being there! I think that's why everybody loves being a grandmother!

Liz said...

Thanks y'all for the support ;)